So, you got a new PS4 as a gift for the holidays, congrats! If you’re lucky, you may have somehow gotten a PS5, which deserves a trophy in itself to whoever was able to track one down. Now, if you’re completely new to the console, you may be wondering where you need to start. I’m here to help! I will give you my personal must have picks to start off with the console and will break down a few tips as well.
First, I do want to point out a few things before we get started on some game picks. If you weren’t aware, PlayStation(PS) requires a PlayStation Plus membership for online play. This membership will give you access to playing online multiplayer games, monthly discounts in the PSN store(hub where you can purchase all digital content), as well as monthly free games. The US price for the service is $59.99 for 1 year, $24.99 for 3 months, and $9.99 for 1 month. Note, that free to play games, such as Fortnite, Apex Legends etc, don’t require a PS Plus membership. If a game is free, then the multiplayer service is also free. There are plenty of those in the PS Store, so if you’re strapped for cash, check that section out! Here are a few of my fave personal freebies.
- Brawlhala; Action fighter game similar to Super Smash Bros and loads of fun! Every season the characters rotate so the game stays fresh.
- Fortnite; Yep, you know I had to include it. If you love battle royale games and are looking for a good time, this is a safe bet. You eliminate enemies, you can build structures for protection, and every season brings some interesting collabs of other properties, most notably, Marvel, Star Wars, and a multitude of musical artists. You earn and unlock rewards, and if you purchase a battle pass, you can get more loot. although that is entirely up to you.
- Apex Legends; This one is another battle royale game like Fortnite, except, much more challenging. It does away with building, and focuses more on gameplay and character lore.
- Let It Die; A personal fave of mine that no one really talks about. This is a role playing game, to which you traverse a tower, upgrading your character and defeating enemies and bosses. The catch? Once you die, you lose all your loot. Very challenging but loads of fun. The characters and atmosphere is crazy wacky too, since this is the same game studio who brought us the colorful Lollipop Chainsaw. It’s souls-like in structure too, so if that appeals to you, then this one is a must.
- Destiny 2; A first person shooter with a very large open world to discover missions. This is a multiplayer game, and there is a bunch of content packed in this game. This game was made free, because when it initially launched, it was a full fledged $60 dollar title.
Now, on to my non-free recommendations that I think everyone should have in their library. Note, I will only be including Sony exclusives on my list.
- Spider-Man; I think this should go without say. This is my personal favorite Spider-Man game out there, dethroning my previous favorite Spider-Man 2. $39.99
- God of War; You don’t need to have played any of the prior games to enjoy the masterful storytelling and gameplay of this game. I myself, played this game just a few months ago for the first time, and definitely see why its regarded as one of the best titles PlayStation has to offer. The game is gorgeous too. $19.99
- The Last of Us; You’ve heard of this one. I know you have. It’s a masterpiece. I know the second game wasn’t received with the same enthusiasm, but what I can tell you is that you won’t regret the time you spend on this game. It’s some of the best world building and storytelling you can achieve from a video game. $19.99
- Uncharted; An action adventure game. Looking for a fun Lara Croft/Indiana Jones type of character? Then this is the game for you. Naughty Dog is the same studio that also made The Last of Us, and we have to give credit where it’s due, the stories are some of the best part of these games
- Detroit Become Human; This one is an interactive game, where you choose the outcomes and the dialogues that ultimately gives you the freedom to craft your own decisions. These actually do impact the story. $19.99
- Horizon Zero Dawn; An RPG that enthralls you in the world. There’s plenty to do, and there’s a reason why this game is considered the one of the best exclusives on the console. $19.99
So there is my quick run down. If you’d like to take an in depth look at these titles, feel free to visit the PlayStation Network store.